The very cool Gary Hayes from Personalized Media has created a head-spinning Flash app (embedded below) that gives a great visual impression as to the speed of growth in social networks and associated data. Of course, the numbers aren’t absolute but nevertheless are an amazing indication of what’s happening around the globe right now and why, for many of us, the smarter and faster the aggregation and filtering mechanisms become, the better!
You can see all the stats if you head to his site, but here’s a few of the highlights:
- 20 hours of video uploaded every minute onto YouTube (source YouTube blog Aug 09)
- Facebook 600k new members per day, and photos, videos per month, 700mill & 4 mill respectively (source Inside Facebook Feb 09)
- Twitter 18 million new users per year & 4 million tweets sent daily (source TechCrunch Apr 09)
- 900 000 blogs posts put up every day (source Technorati State of the Blogosphere 2008)
- UPDATE: YouTube 1Billion watched per day SMH (2009)
- Money – $5.5 billion on virtual goods (casual & game worlds) even Facebooks gifts make $70 million annually (source Viximo Aug 09)
- Flickr has 73 million visitors a month who upload 700 million photos (source Yahoo Mar 09)
Nice job Gary!